Help - The 1099-A Process

Welcome!

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services.
Share and discuss the best content and new marketing ideas, build your professional profile and become a better marketer together.

When the trustee mails all of the completed 1099 forms to US Treasury, do they only submit copy A or keep all carbon copies attached?

Erin O'Donnell

I am a part of a small study group of 10 other people. We are studying all of Chris’s videos and the courses on LegaliBus. We have a question about acting as trustees for each other. 

When the trustee mails all of the completed 1099 forms to US Treasury, do they only submit copy A or keep all carbon copies attached?

The General Instructions for Forms 1099 and 1096 state that only copy A is to be submitted. But I keep hearing that when the beneficiary receives copy B of 1099-A from the treasury, they will know their endorsed 1099-A has been accepted. 

When the trustee submits all of the completed 1099 forms, do they only submit copy A or keep all carbon copies attached?  

Discard
3 Answers
Erin O'Donnell
Best Answer

Here’s what I’ve learned:

Chris likes to submit everything attached so as to get confirmation of acceptance by Treasury/IRS when the beneficiary receives copy B, but it is also possible to send only copy A of the 1099A and 1099OID with the 1096 and 1040V as directed in the IRS instructions. I chose to send only copies A. I have a friend who chose to send all carbons still attached. We will see what happens and report back. 

1 Comment
Discard
Kentrice L Watkins
-

It's Jan.16 have either one of you heard anything back yet

Best Answer

Just mailed 2 envelopes to 1111 Constitution Ave; and I chose to leave the Documents whole. Decided to let the IRS & Treasury separate the documents themselves. I'll repost when the Beneficiaries receive Copy B.

I did have to follow up with Form 8281 for both of these mailings. Sent them to Ogden, UT.

1 Comment
Discard
Kentrice L Watkins
-

I thought via video that we the beneficiary wasn't supposed to file anything with the IRS only the trustee's am I right in thinking this way

FLOYD
Best Answer

I sent in all 1099 A attached - I also sent in the 1099-OID completely attached as the IRS sent them to me in the mail.   I don't separate any of the forms.  I followed all instructions to the letter.  I purchased an old Brother typewriter off of ebay in good working condition - to complete all my forms the old fashion way.  Mailed all the forms to the United States Treasury certified return receipt per instructions.  Good Luck!

4 Comments
Discard
Erin O'Donnell
-

Thanks so much for your feedback Floyd! Really appreciate it. Please keep me posted on how the method is working for you!

Doug
-

Well that's good. was it honored??

kenneth bryan
-

We haven’t heard from you yet? What’s the word has anyone had any success with this at all? Please let us know!!

Vanessa-Ann: Galvanek
-

Well, its now January of 2023 and no one in this thread has come back with the results of the process they used. It's difficult for us to help each other have success if the people advising others to use a certain process never report back with their success or failure. Very frustrating....