Success Stories

Share your success stories.

Can a Naturalized Citizen Authenticate a Birth Certificate?

Diane

I was born in another country and currently a Naturalized Citizen in America. I'm in the process of doing my status correction and I was told when given my Naturalized Certificate, they created a new Birth Certificate and CUSIP number. 

So, my first question is, do I need to authenticate this new birth certificate and if so, how do I go about doing this? 

My second question is, I still have my own birth certificate from my country, so what do I do with this one? 

No one seems to have an answer.

Discard
2 Answers
Dawn
Best Answer

I am from Canada and reside in the states now.  I got a hold of the vital records dept in my province and they do certified/authenticate process also.  They were so friendly and sent me the form through email to fill out and send payment back in the amount of $55 to get my Canadian Birth Certificate Certified/Authenticated.  I have found other countries may call it certifying. If you are from a United Nations country, they are all called trusteeship countries for a reason.  They all have Cestue Que Vie Trust accounts for their Citizens.  You should be able to find your vital statistics office and give them a call.  Hope this helps! 

Discard
Michelle Levesque
Best Answer

You ask if you need to get it authenticated, I'm not sure if you need to,  it depends on what you plan to do with it. If you want to, though, I'm sure you could get the U.S. issued birth certificate authenticated in the U.S. You have to send in the original with a request form and a fee. This link may help.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/records-and-authentications/authenticate-your-document/requesting-authentication-services.html

If you're wanting your original birth certificate authenticated, you'd have to check with a similar department in your country of birth. 

Discard